Resolute Jamal reach final

November 30, 2014

Bangladesh champions Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club came from behind to beat defending champions Manang Marshyangdi Club of Nepal 2-1 to reach the final in Bhutan’s King’s Cup on Saturday. Jamal trailed MMC until the 84th minute before Shakhwat Hossain Rony brought the scoreline level and send the game into extra-time when Landing Darboe of Gambia struck in thevery first minute to secure the win.
After a barren first-half, MMC’s African recruit Cedric Aba put them ahead in the 55th minute and it seemed enough until Rony’s equaliser.
Jamal had to play the last 20 minutes of extra-time with 10 men after Sohel Rana was given the marching order for his second bookable offence.
MMC, however, failed to utilise the opportunity as a resolute Jamal defense held firm to return as the winners, confirming their place in December 2 final.
They will face either Pune FC or Mohun Bagan FC, the two Indian outfits, who will lock-horn in the second semi-final today.
Though Jamal were clearly the better side in the match still they squandered a series of scoring opportunities in the first-half.
New Haitian recruit Daniel Sirin, who replaced suspended Wedsen Anselme, broke the MMC defense in the very third minute and beat keeper Bishal Shrestha but his shot went inches wide.
Nigerian forward Emeka Darlington failed to put Jamal ahead in the 12th minute when his attempt on a one-on-one situation was brilliantly saved by MMC keeper.
MMC created a real opportunity in the half-hour mark but their veteran forward Anil Gurung failed to beat advancing Jamal keeper Mazharul Islam Himel.
Landing took a powerful shot from edge of the box just after the interval but he saw his attempt was saved by Shrestha.
Jamal tried hard for a comeback after going down 0-1 but they spoiled many chances before their persistence finally paid off as Rony found the back of the net from a counter attack.
Receiving the ball from the midfield Rony outpaced Biraj Maharjan to slot the ball home.
Jamal put the decisive blow when their in-from striker Landing beat MMC’s defense to strike in the very first minute of extra-time.
According to, Sohel Rana made an ugly gesture towards the referee to get his second yellow card, giving MMC a lifeline, but they still fell short.

-With New Age input

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.