Martial leads United comeback

September 21, 2015

Anthony Martial struck his third goal in two games for Manchester United as Louis van Gaal’s men came from behind to beat Southampton 3-2 at St Mary’s, repots ESPN.
Southampton took the lead early on when Sadio Mane’s effort was parried by David De Gea and turned home by Graziano Pelle. However, United hit back before the break as Juan Mata lost possession in the box and it fell to £36 million man Martial who turned coolly before slotting past Maarten Stekelenburg.
The 19-year-old was at it again after the break when he cut out a poor backpass from Maya Yoshida to double his tally.
United then had David De Gea to thank as Jose Fonte got free from a corner and his header was clawed out on the line by the Spanish goalkeeper. And, with 20 minutes left, Memphis Depay wriggled free to strike his shot against the bottom of the post, but the rebound was put away by Mata.
Pelle then rose to head home and make it 3-2, but United held on for the win as De Gea again kept the Southampton attack at bay.
Liverpool’s Danny Ings scored within two minutes of entering the pitch as his side was held 1-1 by Norwich at Anfield.
Daniel Sturridge returned to the starting XI for the first time since April 8, after a series of injuries, but he wasn’t able to get on the scoresheet in the first half when Lucas Leiva’s pass found him and John Ruddy made a fine save.
After half-time, Christian Benteke went off injured and Ings replaced him. It took just a few minutes for the striker to break his goal duck as Alberto Moreno clipped a pass to him to finish smartly.
Norwich hit back, however, as defender Russell Martin scored from a corner to net his third of the season already.
Son Heung-min was Tottenham’s hero once again as the South Korean’s first Premier League goal clinched a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace on Sunday.
Son had scored twice on his home debut in Tottenham’s Europa League victory against Qarabag of Azerbaijan on Thursday and the forward’s dream start continued as he was the toast of White Hart Lane just three days later.
The 23-year-old settled a hard-fought encounter midway through the second half to give Mauricio Pochettino’s side their first home league win of the season.
Son already has three goals in three appearances since signing from German club Bayer Leverkusen for £18 million ($27 million, 24 million euros) in August and he departed to a standing ovation with 12 minutes remaining.

-With New Age input

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.