No case, no headway in ex-cop murder

August 31, 2013

Police could not arrest anybody in connection with the murder of Fazlul Karim Khan, a retired additional superintendent of police who was also the investigation officer in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack case, till Friday evening. The victim’s family has not filed any case even 36 hours after the gruesome murder. Fazlul Karim, 65, who retired six years ago as an additional superintendent of police from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), was gunned down by a group of unidentified men inside his residence at Wapda Road in West Rampura in the city, on Thursday morning.
“The investigation into the incident has started and we are trying our best to unearth the mystery behind the murder,” Delawer Hossain Khan, officer-in-charge of Rampura Police Station, told The Independent.
Asked whether any case had been filed yet, he said that the family members of the slain police official would file a case by Friday night.
“The Rapid Action Battalion, along with the detective branch of police and CID, are working to make headway in the case,” he added.
Touhid Kashem, brother-in-law of the victim, said that they were yet to file any case as all family members were currently in their native village in Munshiganj for the completion of the burial. They would be back in the capital on Friday night and file a case after that.
Family sources said that Fazlul Karim was buried at his family graveyard in his ancestral village of Ramkrishnadea mosque of Munshiganj.
Meanwhile, law enforcement sources said that several suspects had been detained from Rampura and that a hunt for clues had been started in the victim’s native village in Munshiganj based on the allegation that the police official might have been killed over a land feud.
According to sources, Fazlul Karim had an altercation with some people after he raised his voice against illegal peddling in the Rampura area shortly before his killing. It is also being suspected that the altercation might have led to the tragedy.
Ashrafuzzaman, deputy commissioner of Motijheel police, told The Independent that police were investigating the murder after considering some possible motives including land dispute and drugs peddling in the area.
“Several teams of different investigation agencies are working on it and we hope to unearth the truth very shortly”, he added.

-With The Independent input

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.