Container Train Derails

May 30, 2012

Rail link with Ctg snapped for 17 hrs
Rail communication between Chittagong and other parts of the country resumed yesterday evening after about a 17-hour-long disruption caused by derailment of four bogies of a container train.
A Dhaka-bound train from Chittagong veered off the course at Jangalia near Moynamati Railway Station in Comilla and ploughed into another tracks around 1:30am, damaging both lines.
Hundreds of people bound for Dhaka, Sylhet and other destinations had faced untold sufferings at Chittagong Railway Station as schedules of six train services were cancelled and one was delayed.
Zakir Hossain, divisional transportation officer (DTO) of railway, told The Daily Star “Train communication on the route resumed at 6:00pm after two relief trains from Akhaura and Laksham reached the spot, cleared the lines and repaired the damaged tracks.”
Sukumar Bhoumik, divisional railway manager, said the derailment occurred when the container train was entering Moynamati Railway Station.
A four-member probe body, headed by DTO Zakir Hossain, has been formed to investigate the cause of the accident, said Mizanur Rahman, public relation officer of railway.
Abu Taher, director general of railway, told The Daily Star that train communication would not have been suspended if there were two more rail tracks between Dhaka and Chittagong.
The authorities have cancelled the departure schedule of six trains including Mohanagar Probhati Express, Paharika Express from Chittagong Railway Station due to the derailment, said A M Shamsul Alam, station manager of the railway station.
Due to sudden cancellation of the train schedules, people had to choose alternate transport services to reach their destinations.
Sadequr Rahman, who had to return his ticket for Mohangar Probhati Express, said he had an important job to do at Dhaka. Due to the suspension of train services, he would have to go to the capital by bus which made him feel uncomfortable.
Abdul Malek, who boarded Subarna Express, said, “I had planned to return to Chittagong today after completing my work in Dhaka. But due to the delay in train schedule, it may not be possible for me to return to Chittagong today.”
Subarna Express left Chittagong at 12:33pm though it was scheduled to leave for Dhaka at 7:00am, he added.
Mohammad Tafazzol Hossain, general manager (operation-East) of railway, told The Daily Star around 800-feet of rail tracks and a signal post were damaged at the spot due to the derailment.
Sukumar Bhoumik, divisional railway manager, however, said Turna Nishita Express from both Dhaka and Chittagong exchanged their passengers at the accident spot at 10:30pm and went back to their place of origin.

-With The Daily Star input

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.