New English language test for people to join partner in UK

November 29, 2010

A new English language requirement will be introduced today for non-European migrants who, as of today, apply for a visa to go or remain in the UK as a partner or spouse of a British citizen or person settled there.
Applicants will need to show that they can speak and understand English to a basic level. They will usually meet this requirement by passing an English language test with a UK Border Agency-approved test provider. The list of approved test providers and further guidance is available on the UK Border Agency’s website.
Applicants are required to pass this language test before they apply for a visa and submit an original test certificate with their visa application.
It is also possible to meet the English language requirement by having an academic qualification equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in the UK. Applicants will need to supply the original qualification certificate with their visa application.
The new language requirement is intended to help migrants integrate into British society — to open up more opportunities, help prevent exploitation, and allow them to benefit from, and contribute more to their communities.
This English language requirement does not apply to visitors or the spouses and partners of those in the UK on a temporary visa, such as workers and students under the points bassed system.


Courtesy of The Daily Star

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.