Rajon Killing: Protests flare at places

July 15, 2015

The police on Tuesday formed a committee to probe into alleged negligence of Jalalabad police station officials when Samiul Alam Rajon, 12, was beaten to death in Sylhet city on July 8 as protests against the murder continued across the country.
Sylhet Metropolitan Police on Tuesday withdrew a Jalalabad police station sub-inspector, while the police arrested another suspect, Mayna Miah, night guard of Sundar Ali Market where Rajon was beaten to death.
Sylhet Metropolitan Police additional commissioner SM Rokan Uddin said that Mayna was arrested in Tuker Bazar area of Sylhet at about 10:00pm.
Mayna was one of the accused who tortured to death the 13-year-old boy, he said.
Jalalabad police station sub-inspector Aminul Islam was withdrawn on Tuesday night following allegations that he took bribe from accused Kamrul and paved safe passage for him to go to Saudi Arabia after the murder.
Rajon’s father Sheikh Azizur Rahman earlier alleged that Aminul had assisted Kamrul, prime suspect Muhith’s cousin, to leave the country for Saudi Arabia in exchange of Tk 6 lakh.
The three-member probe body was formed with Sylhet Metropolitan Police additional commissioner SM Rokan Uddin and deputy commissioners Mushfequr Rahman and Zedan Al Musa.
Rajon’s family alleged that Jalalabad police officer-in-charge Alamgir Hossain and sub-inspector Aminul Islam behaved roughly with them and tried to protect the killers.
They claimed that Aminul Kamrul, brother of the prime suspect Muhith, to leave the country for Saudi Arabia in exchange of Tk 6 lakh after the murder.
Sylhet Metropolitan Police additional deputy commissioner Rahmat Ullah told New Age that the probe body was asked to submit the report in three days.
Rights activists and labour leaders on Tuesday demanded exemplary punishment for the perpetrators.
Addressing different human chains, they termed the incident heinous and blamed the culture of impunity in the country for the killing.
Shishu-Kishor mela, Samajjtantrik Chhatra Front, Samajtanrik Mohila forum, Bignan Andolan Mancha and Sramik Nirapatta Forum formed two human chains in front of the National Press Club.
Shomajtanrik Mohila forum’s general secretary, Shompa Bashu said the brutal killing of Rajan was nothing new for the country as many of the children became the victim of rape and killing previously.
Moreover, the trial for the murder of Toki, a teenage boy from Narayanganj was yet to finish even 29 months after his death. When law enforcers and administration became involved with the killers then no justice could be expected, she pointed out.
General Secretary of Nagorik Sanghati, Sharifuzzaman Sharif said the similar incident took place In Noakhali 4 years ago when a mob lynched 16-year-old Milon in front of police but the trial was yet to finish.
The lack of Justice has been influencing these killings over the years, he observed.
Sylhet Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s Court remanded Ismail Hossain, another arrested accused, in police custody for five days for interrogation in the case.
The investigation office of the case, Alamgir Hossain, told New Age that metropolitan magistrate Farhana Yasmin passed order.
Earlier on Monday, the same court remanded prime suspect Muhith in police custody for five days or interrogation.
Police arrested Ismail, Muhith’s cousin, on early Monday at Mirergaon under Sylhet sadar upazila.
The police also arrested Muhith’s wife Lipi Begum on Monday night.
Jalalabad police officer-in-charge Akhtar Hossain said that they were preparing to produce Lipi before the court.
Quoting the local people, he said that Mayna Miah, night guard of the Sundar Ali Market where Rajon was beaten to death, had tried to molest Rajon.
‘In association with Muhith, Kamrul and others, Mayna took revenge on Rajon for preventing his attempt,’ Akhter said.
He said that they already extracted some crucial information from Muhith in interrogation.
A group of five youths including Muhith Alam, 32, beat Rajan at Sheikhpara near Kumargaon Bus Terminal to death branding him a thief on early July 8 when he went there to sell vegetables.
Rajon’s father Azizur went to the Jalalabad police on that night to lodge a general diary as Rajon did not return home and then he identified the body of his son at the hospital morgue.
Azizur also filed a murder case against Muhith, Kamrul, 30, his accomplice Ali Haydar, 34, and Mayna Miah.
Following the information extracted from Muhith, the police recovered a video clip of torture on Rajon recorded by the perpetrators during the incident and posted on facebook, the police said.
Kamrul left the country on Friday to escape the arrest, was arrested in Jeddah on Monday.

-With New Age input

Advertisement Area


Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.