Dhaka Metro likely by 2013

May 28, 2010

Construction of the much-hyped 27-kilometre underground metro rail project in Dhaka is likely to begin May 2011. And if the government accepts the Japanese donor agency’s proposals, the first phase of the rail project can be completed as early as 2013, according to a Bangladeshi official, reports The Independent
A total of US $ 1.6 billion would be needed to construct the metro rail project in its first phase according to the projections of the Japanese International Cooperation Agency or JICA which is funding the project.
Meanwhile, the JICA is all set to begin an in-depth study of the second phase of the metro rail project. A Detailed Project Report will be prepared as soon as the JICA completes this survey according to Dr SM Salehuddin, additional executive director of the Dhaka Transport Coordination Board (DTCB). A MOU is also likely to be signed between the DTCB and the JICA after this. An international construction firm will then execute the construction after an open tender.
JICA will provide 70 per cent of fund as soft loan out of a total of US $ 1.6 billion. The remaining 30 per cent of money will be provided by the  Bangladesh government, according to Dr. Salehuddin.
The project is likely to be implemented on Build Operate Transfer (BOT) model under the supervision of Dhaka Transport Coordination Board.
According to the proposal of JICA, the underground railway system in the city could be established in about two years.
Six routes have been agreed upon which is likely to decongest an over crowded Dhaka.
The first route will begin from Gabtoli and end at Saidabad via IDB Bhaban and Mohakhali covering a length of 17 kilometres.
The second route will run from Uttara to Mohakhali via airport and Banani.
The third route will be from Pallabi to IDB Bhaban,
The fourth route will be from Ring Road to Shahbagh via Sat Masjid Road and Jigatola.
The fifth route will go from Saidabad to Tejgaon via Kamalapur,
And the sixth will be from Gulistan to Sadarghat.
The construction of the proposed underground railway system is likely to use the cut and cover method, which will not disrupt road traffic.  The fare on the subway is also likely to be less than the fare for surface transport system.
There are about 325,000 motorised vehicles, and an estimated 5,00,000 rickshaws on Dhaka roads. Only 330 km of primary roads carry bulk of this traffic making driving a nightmare in the city.

Courtesy of The Independent

Advertisement Area

Comments

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.